Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My Baby's Play Mat




I just finished this play mat for my son..didn't want to pay 50 or 60 dollars for one, so I decided to try my hand at making one. The cool thing is that its custom, I used fabrics that I already have made his blankets, sling, lovey and other things from so it all ties in together. I used two layers of batting in between microsuede on the bottom and super soft cuddly fabrics for him to lay on.
I added three pockets so he can find his toys "tucked" in, and put little short straps with snaps on each pocket to attach the toys. That way when I pick up the mat, all the toys stay put! I also added a "ring/handle" of super soft furry black fabric that is stitched onto the blanket, he loves to grab on to it. Fabric scraps were used for the binding, although it has many imperfections. Still struggling with binding and getting it right. All in all, it came out nice. Oh, and I added a strap with a snap on the back so I can roll it up and secure it when I'm done with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment